Thursday, January 23, 2014

I'M FINALLY ONE OF "THOSE" PEOPLE



I promised myself that I wasn't going to be one of the many people I know who complain about the weather. I swore that I wasn't going to give my smug, snowbird friends the satisfaction of hearing me suffer the brutal conditions that we endure each winter. I'm not certain, but I think they love to hear our weather reports so they can feel nice and cozy in their comfortable surroundings. "Oh, as I was getting out of the pool, I heard it got to -29 in your area," my friend Liza from California said. "Oh, it's not so bad if you dress for it", was my brave reply, not wanting my voice to reveal one bit of envy. "We're used to it."

Today I caved. I am officially sick and tired of winter.  I have fallen in with the whiners and complainers. I'm sorry, but it's damn cold!!! Tonight I heard the announcer on Minnesota Public Radio give the temperature and describe the winds as "stiff". Stiff winds and dangerous conditions, someone needs to send help! We need a brigade of rescuers to envelop us in warm blankets and hot beverages. We need massive supplies of S.A.D. lights and goose down survival wear. This is serious business!

My optimist spouse, "The Ganz", cheerfully reported the other day that winter is half over and the days are getting longer. I'm trying to see things that way, but I think I'm going to need to thaw out first.


2 comments:

  1. That goose down sounds lovely. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the image of a warmth brigade bringing emergency blankets and hot beverages. Let's snuggle in with a good book near the fire. Or, just hibernate!

    ReplyDelete